Ryan McGee
I just got back from a job interview with the bank. I\'m applying to be a teller there. Jobs are hard to come by, and I don\'t have a lot of experience built up yet. The person who interviewed me told me that, if hired, I would work two Saturdays a month and every third Sunday. I didn\'t like the work-on-Sunday bit, and I\'m wondering if I should take the job if offered because of it. But then again, I need a job. Your thoughts?
Be the first person to like this.
Ryan McGee
Thank you, both of you, for your responses. I\'m looking into other banks in the area.
johnchan wrote:
It seems that asking for permission to not work on Sundays would disqualify you from applying for the position.
You never know John.
Ryan McGee
Anjali wrote:
ha - I have just gotten back from a visit to local banks trying to find work. They all said to go online, so now I'm back in front of my computer. I was thinking about the weekend hours issue if it comes up - I'm going to only look for weekday positions if possible. Church is my highlight of the week, without that I'm going to feel lost.
Wow, they told me the same thing!
wait, banks are open on weekends???
Ryan McGee
robotom wrote:
wait, banks are open on weekends???
The one I went to is. On the sheet asking for available hours I marked all the days but Sunday. But the interviewer said I would have to work some Sundays. Several banks are now opening on Sunday to keep in the competition.
michalis orfanos
i have the same problem because i work in a hotel and am busy almost every sunday.its not a sin since its not up to me. i find the opportunity to attend in services other days.
Rev Fr Athanasios Haros
There is an \\"out\\" legally for you with this job IF you get it. The law requires companies to make reasonable allowances for you to attend your worship service. If Sunday morning is the only weekly service they have to allow you to come after church. The law is quite clear on this matter, but you need to have the job first...
I would suggest, since you need the job, offer to work on those few Sundays following Divine Liturgy. You said it wasn\'t every Sunday, so other Sunday \\"rituals\\" such as brunch etc won\'t be an issue.
It\'s a good question for your spiritual father.
I once held a job that required me to work on Sundays. I was able to work with my supervisor to see to it that I was scheduled to be in an hour or two after the Liturgy. Most employers are more than willing to work with their employees on matters such as these, if only due to the threat of legal action.
FrAthanasios wrote:
There is an \"out\" legally for you with this job IF you get it. The law requires companies to make reasonable allowances for you to attend your worship service. If Sunday morning is the only weekly service they have to allow you to come after church. The law is quite clear on this matter, but you need to have the job first...
I would suggest, since you need the job, offer to work on those few Sundays following Divine Liturgy. You said it wasn't every Sunday, so other Sunday \"rituals\" such as brunch etc won't be an issue.
That\'s along the lines of what I was thinking as well...
Ryan McGee
Kerygma wrote:
I agree with Fr Athansios: agree to work those few Sundays required and try to get the job. Then look into what the laws allow.
I'd also like to add that sometimes it is not possible to have everything exactly as one would like. My wife and I live at a great distance from our church. Not only is it costly to get to church on a regular basis BUT in winter it can be downright dangerous. We have to negotiate a mountain pass which can become hazardous due to icy conditions. Our priest understands these circumstances and has made allowances for us. In short, we do not attend the Divine Liturgy on a weekly basis. Perhaps (just perhaps) this will be your \"lot\" for a time until your circumstances change. Who can say?
I spoke with my priest about it today. He\'s ok with it.
StGeorge wrote:
I spoke with my priest about it today. He's ok with it.
Great news! Hope it works out marvelously!
I think the fact that banks are open on a Sunday is ridiculous.
Ana
In regard to the Law and right to worship; my son had a simular situation. Although he is never required to work Sunday mornings, he does work every Sunday evening. He is a college student and fortunate to have a solid job as there is intense competition for jobs in his area. The problem was this last year\'s Holy Week. My son had worked the entire \\"American Easter\\" weekend with the understanding that he could have off his \\"Orthodox Easter\\" weekend. When the time came he was told NO. His mgr. stated that everyone had to work Easter why should you have it off? To which my son explained: I did work YOUR Easter. Now I would like to have the time off to worship with my family, at my home church. Long & short of it is he was told, he would be fired if he didn\'t work. Sadly, the national chain is owned by an Orthodox family. Wonder what the law says about high holidays, Feast days..., not just Sunday worship? It was really sad not to have our son for Resurrection services. It\'s not like he\'s a doctor, he busses tables.
You need to be upfront about the fact that you are unwilling to work for religious reasons - a letter from your priest attesting to your weekly involvement in the Divine Liturgy would be helpful. VOLUNTEER to be available three or four Saturdays instead of two. Since the Orthodox Churches observe Christmas and Easter on different dates, point that out as well, along with the fact that you would be available to work when others would be observing their Holy Days (holidays)